Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bountiful Baskets: How To

Several of my friends have been asking me about Bountiful Baskets.  
Click here to go to Bountiful Baskets.  
The baskets are $15 each, plus a $1.50 handling fee. (This is the ONLY money the ladies who run this get... the $1.50!  100% of your $15 goes to buying the produce.)
The first time you order, there is a $3 fee.

Here is photo essay of what happens:
You arrive.  There is a table where you show your receipt and sign for your basket.  On that table (or I've also seen locations have them off to the side) are the "extra's" you may have ordered.

In a pile off to the side are the boxes the produce came in.  It's important everybody takes a box or two home to recycle.  It's not fair to leave it for the Site Coordinator. 
In a big long line (or sometimes in several shorter lines) are the baskets.  One basket has all the fruit, one basket has all the veggies.  You get one of each baskets (or if you order 2, 2 of each, etc)
Volunteering has some great perks!!  You get to choose one of the larger items, or two small items (like you could get a cantaloupe or 2 tomatoes) and add them to your basket!  PLUS, you get the pick of baskets (when there is extra stuff, it gets put in the baskets) and you get first choice!
Here is an example of a "Veggie Basket".  Remember you don't pick EITHER fruit or veggies, you get BOTH!
A wonderful volunteer splitting up the nectarines among the baskets.
Some of the yummy stuff you could get, if you had chosen to order it.
This bread is BEYOND yummy!!  It tastes like Great Harvest Bread, and is only $2 per loaf (you have to buy 5 loaves, but it freezes wonderfully!  Or, you could be like me, and split it with someone!
After you get it all home, check out what you got!  This week (7/2/11) I got grapes, tomatoes, red pears, apples, bananas, cantaloupe, carrots, broccoli, red chard, lettuce, and butternut squash!  I also go a case of peaches, and 2 loaves of bread (my mom and I split the bread).

So, for my basket, with about 30 lbs of produce, my 25 lbs of peaches, and my 2 loaves of bread, I paid $34 (this was my mom's week to cover the $1.50 charge... it's per ORDER, not per basket)

I can't wait to show you what I'm doing with all my peaches :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment