Tuesday, December 6, 2011

No Knead Bread

My aunt Dee taught me how to make this when she visited in 2011.


5 - cups hot water (hotter than bathwater, but not scalding)
4 - tablespoons of yeast
1 - cup oil
6 - tablespoons sugar
2 - tablespoons salt ( optional)
8-10 - cups of flour 

mix all ingredients together. should be sticky. stir down from the outer part of the bowl inward every 10 minutes for 1 hour. should be covered.
put oil in bread pans. put dough in bread pans, cover & let rise for 1/2 hour. makes 4-5 loaves
bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
can also be used to make : cinnamon rolls, biscuits

So, I don't know about you, but reading this, I would be LOST :)  Luckily, my Aunt came down and showed us how to make it.  So, here it is in picture form:

Add 5 cups hot water to a huge bowl :)
Sprinkle 4 TBSP yeast into water
Add 1 Cup oil
add 6 TBSP sugar to activate the yeast
It'll start doing this bubbly thing
add 2 TBSP salt, if you want (I like it better with the salt)
Start with 6 cups of flour.  Add up to 10 (usually it takes between 9-10).  After the original 6, add 1 cup at a time, until you are up to 9 cups, then add 1/2 a cup at a time.
 Stir until well mixed, forming a sticky ball

Cover and wait 10 minutes
After it's risen for 10 minutes, stir around the bowl once.
Stir from the outside of the bowl, piling onto the inside.  Cover, and wait 10 minutes.  Repeat 6 times.
After you've stirred 6 times (10 minutes between each one) oil your hands (yep! Pour vegetable oil right on your hands).  Then take about 1/5 of the dough (sorry, I don't have pictures of this part... but my hands were covered in oil and dough!) and mold into a loaf shape.  Do this by using both hands, and folding the dough over on itself until it's smooth on top, and long :)
Place in well oiled pan (I used oil for some, and then when they didn't come out very easily I switched to pam for baking, and then oil.  The oil gives them a buttery taste, the pam lets it slide out of the pan easily!)  Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.  (I spray pam the bottom of the towel, it makes the bread not stick to it).

Bake for 30-35 minutes at 375.

There is a proper way to let the bread cool.  Did you know that?  I didn't!  I figured it out the hard way.
If you don't let it cool properly, it'll end up looking like this:
So, to let it rest in the loaf pans for at least 5 minutes after removing from the oven. Then, tilt the pans on their side to let the bread cool for at least 10 more minutes.
They'll slide out easily.   To allow for easier cutting, let cool completely. I never have been able to do that!  They taste WAY to yummy fresh out of the oven! 

Eat and Enjoy!  (I love it with Peach Freezer Jam!)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Becky! The picture tutorial was super helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great and easy because little ones don't need major finger muscles to knead it. I know they will be fighting over who gets to stir it every 10 minutes---what a great way to keep them occupied for an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faith just said about this: "We have no 'knead' of it!" But I do have NEED! I really need a recipe that is not going to be messy when I am out of sandwich bread!

    ReplyDelete